25 september 2017

Grayson Perry #5


















Grayson Perry studio visit, Walthamstow, north-east London. Stills from the video "TateShots: Grayson Perry, studio visit". (bron video: Tate)




Grayson Perry in his studio, 2012(?).

"....
Does the studio change fundamentally as a consequence of becoming public? do you feel differently about it because it’s been photographed and filmed?

So many people come to my studio and take photographs, I forget how many. About 50 TV crews have been to my studio. Whenever they come, I say, ‘Well, I’ve spent hours making this look like a studio for you!’ When I was at college, we all had our little chipboard cubicles that we worked in. Someone came up and went, ‘Oooh, you’ve got a meaty space!’ And I thought, yeah, I do like to have a busy space. I like the feeling that it’s got a density of creativity going on.

Do you ‘act out’ in the studio? is it a place where you can experiment with being somebody else?

Nooo! It’s me! It’s where I’m most un-acted-out, where I’m most ‘authentic’, to use a horrific word. It’s where I have to strip myself down and ask myself what I want to do. That’s your job as an artist. The first thing you have to ask is, ‘Who am I?’ The second question is, ‘Well, if I’m that person, what do I want to do?’
...."
(bron: Artists & Illustrators)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten